Mostly documenting for myself, but these are the steps it took to get quickly up to speed in macOS with php, composer, docker for development.
Disable blocking apps from the internet:
sudo spctl --master-disable
Now, install the applications that we want from known sources.
- Open Safari, Preferences, Websites, Downloads and change the default to Allow.
- Visit https://github.com/debauchee/barrier/releases and install barrier for Mac to allow using a single kb/mouse.
- Visit https://www.docker.com/get-started and download and install docker desktop.
- Visit https://www.google.com/chrome and download and install Chrome.
- Visit https://getfirefox.com and download and install Firefox.
- Visit https://code.visualstudio.com and download and install VS Code.
- Visit https://jetbrains.com and download and install PHPStorm.
- Cleanup all the non-used crap from the dock.
- Turn off recently used applications in the dock.
Download and install kitty - https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/binary.html
curl -L https://sw.kovidgoyal.net/kitty/installer.sh | sh /dev/stdin
Start a terminal window and run these commands (or paste them in)
# Install homebrew - https://brew.sh/ for up to date instructions. /bin/bash -c "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.githubusercontent.com/Homebrew/install/master/install.sh)" # Install composer brew install composer # Install latest php brew install php # Install docker and git brew install docker-compose git git-flow # Change the default memory limit for php or composer will barf, -1 means no limit
sed -Ei '' 's/(memory_limit = )[0-9]+M/\1-1/g' /usr/local/etc/php/7.4/php.ini# Add ssh keys cd mkdir .ssh chmod 0700 .ssh vim .ssh/id_rsa # paste key in, save, exit. chmod 0600 .ssh/id_rsa ssh-add -K ssh-add -l # to confirm the key is loaded